Case Based Internal Medicine: Nephrology - Endocrinology, Luxembourg, 14 - 18 March 2018 registration open
Principal Course Master: Prof. Dr. Reto Neiger DECVIM-CA, DACVIM (DE)
Course Masters: Dr. Christiane Stengel DECVIM (DE), Dr. Sarah Steinbach DECVIM-CA, DACVIM (USA)
Clinical work-up of internal medicine nephrology/urology and endocrine problems will be presented in a case oriented approach. Typical and less common problems of dogs and cats presented with upper and lower urinary tract diseases as well as with endocrinopathies will be used to demonstrate a structured and problem-oriented work-up. These cases will serve as bases to discuss physiology and pathophysiology, diagnostic tests such as laboratory investigation and diagnostic imaging plus treatment plans including drugs, diet or surgical options. International guidelines and flow-charts, if existing, as well as updated literature information will be presented to the delegates during the work-up of the cases. On the final day of the course, cases will be presented for interactive discussion and delegates are responsible to solve each case, i.e. find a diagnosis and set up a management plan.
• Day 1 – PUPD (pathophysiology of kidney function, differential diagnosis, appropriate tests), kidney function (physiologic kidney function, urine and blood biomarkers for kidney disease), chronic kidney disease (pathophysiology, classification and management according to IRIS-guidelines), acute kidney injury (causes, physiology, treatment including advanced dialysis methods), glomerular diseases (pathophysiology, differential causes, diagnostic possibilities)
• Day 2 – hematuria/dysuria/pollakisuria (differentials and structured work-up), urinary incontinence (physiology, differentials, diagnostic imaging and various therapeutic options), urinary obstruction (causes, consequences and emergency management), urolithiasis (management of various urolith compositions), feline interstitial cystitis (pathophysiology and management including drugs and MEMO), urinary tract infection (management of uncomplicated and complicated UTI using international guidelines)
• Day 3 –Diabetes mellitus (physiology and management in dogs and cats); insulinoma (and other causes of hypoglycaemia), hypersomatotropism, pituitary dwarfism
• Day 4 – work-up of dogs or cats with hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, calcium homeostasis abnormalities, hypoadrenocorticism, hypocortisolism
• Day 5 – nephrology/urology and endocrine cases (interactive)
Hotel and Travel Information
Please find alternative hotels at:
Please enter for Destination: `Luxembourg City`, for Zip code: `1511`, for Country: `Luxembourg` and your travel dates. Then search for hotels near the course address: `162A Avenue
de la Faïencerie`.
Tuition fee: EURO 1.950,--
Early registration: EURO 1.850,-- (deadline for early registration payment: 1 January 2018)